Why I Should Use Oregano Essential Oil for Nail Fungus.
Research shows the ingredients in oregano oil have antifungal and antimicrobial properties.
Placing a few drops of this essential oil on the affected area may help you eradicate fungal and yeast infections on the spot!
Now you can learn how to use this oil to stop fungus in its tracks and get clear healthy-looking toenails.
If you're looking for natural healing, you may be interested in the health benefits of Oil of Oregano. Research shows the ingredients in this healthy oil have some pretty remarkable powers:
- It's a broad-spectrum antibiotic
- Fights fungal infections
- Prevents free radical damage to your cells
- It's a natural antihistamine
- May help lower cholesterol levels
- May inhibit cancer cell growth
Before we look at how you can benefit from Oil of Oregano, let's take a quick look at where this oil comes from and how it's made....
The ancient Greeks knew about the health benefits of Oil of Oregano and used it for treating many infection-related illnesses and diseases.
Health Benefits of Oil of Oregano's Ingredients
Why can this oil be used as a natural remedy for many different uses? The answer lies in the unique combination of ingredients that have antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory effects.
One of the most popular antifungal drugs used to treat toenail fungus is Lamisil. Lamisil is a powerful antifungal drug. It comes in 250 mg. tablets and you take it once a day (usually 12 weeks for toenail fungus and 6 weeks for fingernail fungus).
Not only is this drug expensive, you may also expose yourself to possible side effects.
Some possible side effects of Lamisil are liver failure, stomach aches, nausea, diarrhea, rashes and alterations in taste.
Is there a cheaper and safer alternative to treating this condition? Oil of Oregano may be answer....
A Natural Approach to Healthier Nails
Research shows Oil of Oregano's ingredients have antifungal and antimicrobial properties.
Why you can use Oil of Oregano to treat fungal infections:
- A study from the Department of Horticulture and National Food Safety and Toxicology center at Michigan State University discovered carvacrol has antifungal properties. Carvacrol is the active ingredient found in oregano oil.
- The Department of Pharmacology at the University of Athens found carvacrol was effective against six gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria and three types of pathogenic fungi.
- Carvacrol was also proven to be effective against yeast and oral candidiasis infections.
- Researchers at the Department of Plant Physiology in Belgrade compared the antifungal activity of a variety of essential oils, including Oil of Oregano, thyme and sage. All oils were tested against 13 different fungal species and Oil of Oregano showed the highest and broadest antifungal activity.
How to Use Oil of Oregano on Toenail Fungus
Toe nail fungus can be a very stubborn condition to treat. While powerful antifungal drugs can work within 12 weeks, natural treatments can take up to 4 months before seeing results. I believe consistency and patience are the most important factors to be successful.
Here's how you can use Oil of Oregano on toenail fungus:
- Take 1 – 3 Oil of Oregano capsules every day - 45 mg. of Oil of Oregano per capsule.
- Apply Oil of Oregano directly on the infected toenail - apply the oil twice a day: Once in the morning and again before going to bed.
Toe nail fungus thrives in warm, damp conditions. While using Oil of Oregano on toenail fungus, you can follow these tips:
- Completely dry your feet and toes after showering.
- Keep toenails cut short.
- Don't use the same nail file and nail clipper used on the infected nails on uninfected nails. You may risk spreading the fungus to other nails.
- Wear 100% cotton socks that allow your feet to 'breathe'.
- Changing to dry clean socks when they become wet or sweaty.
- Wear comfortable shoes with a wide toe 'box' so your toes have some wiggle room. Don't wear tight fitting shoes that press your toes together as this can help spread the fungus from toe to toe.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Try exposing your feet to the sun - In the past, my feet rarely saw the light of day. Now I try to expose them to the sun as much as possible. I believe moderate exposure to sunshine is good for our skin and bodies.
- Try to be patient and consistent with the treatment.
If you're using Oil of Oregano on toenail fungus, remember to be patient and consistent with the treatment.
I would recommend applying a drop of oregano oil to the affected toenail once in the morning and once at night before bed. Everyone is different and the infection may or may not respond.
Another natural oil that has antifungal properties is tea tree oil. If you didn't get any results with Oil of Oregano, you may get better results using tea tree oil on toenail fungus.
Using Oil of Oregano on toe nail fungus is a home remedy that may work for you. If you wish to avoid possible side effects from prescription antifungals, and you want a less expensive alternative, give this natural oil a try.
I recommend Healthy Nail Blend, which is a blend of 7 powerful, anti-fungal essential oils which forms a synergy that is more effective than any one individually, Tea Tree and Oregano are 2 of the oils used in this blend.
In vitro antagonistic activity of monoterpenes and their mixtures against 'toe nail fungus' pathogens. Department of Horticulture and National Food Safety and Toxicology Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA. Ramsewak RS, Nair MG, Stommel M, Selanders L. Phytotherapy Research. 2003 Apr;17(4):376-9.
Antifungal activities of selected aromatic plants growing wild in Greece. Oil oregano toenail fungus study. Sokovic M, Tzakou O, Pitarokili D, Couladis M. Department of Plant Physiology, Institute for Biological Research, Belgrade, Yugoslavia. Nahrung. 2002 Oct;46(5):317-20
Antimicrobial activity of carvacrol related to its chemical structure. Ben Arfa A, Combes S, Preziosi-Belloy L, Gontard N, Chalier P. UMR IATE (Agropolymers Engineering and Emerging Technologies), UniversitÃ© Montpellier II, France. Letters in Applied Microbiology. 2006 Aug;43(2):149-54.
Study of anticandidal activity of carvacrol and eugenol in vitro and in vivo. Oil oregano toenail fungus study. Chami N, Bennis S, Chami F, Aboussekhra A, Remmal A. FacultÃ© des Sciences de FÃ¨s, Laboratoire de Biotechnologie, Atlas Fes, Morocco. Oral Microbiology and Immunology. 2005 Apr;20(2):106-11.
Composition and antimicrobial activity of the essential oils of two Origanum species. Aligiannis N, Kalpoutzakis E, Mitaku S, Chinou IB. Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, University of Athens, University Campus of Zografou, Athens 15771, Greece. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2001 Sep;49(9):4168-70.