The main complications of a fungal nail infection are:
- a resurgence of the infection
- a permanent loss of the affected nail
- a discoloration of the infected nail
- the spread of infection to other areas of the body and possibly the bloodstream
- the development of a bacterial skin infection called cellulitis
It’s especially important to see your doctor if you have diabetes and a fungal nail infection. People with diabetes are at greater risk of developing potentially serious complications caused by these infections. Talk to your doctor if you have diabetes and think you’re developing a fungal nail infection.